Monday, December 14, 2009

Mixed Media Monday - Just Hanging Out

This week the very talented Heather is hosting on Mixed Media Monday, and her prompt is "just hanging out". Since most of my art hangs, I thought that would be nice and easy. Then I thought about how the emphasis is on "hanging" so I decided to make a wall hanging. I know my photo is a little crooked, but it does hang straight, grin! I'm still experimenting with "new to me" things and I'm having a ball. I'll explain each layer for those who are interested. The back layer is the heavy weight Fast 2 Fuse, which I painted with acrylic paints and stamped with a foam stamp and some lovely micaceous gold paint (by Artelier). Then the red layer is mulberry paper. On top of that the layer was made with Lutradur, which I painted with acrylic paint, "laced" with the heat gun and then added some gold foil. The image of the angel was printed onto Lutradur then edged with the gold paint. I love the effect of the printed Lutradur because it is a little translucent and the other layers peep through in a very subtle way. This was mounted onto a "wool paper". The hanger was made with a skewer and some wooden beads painted in the same gold paint. The swirls are chipboard painted gold. Then I just used some ribbon, a tassel and some beads (the gold ones painted) and a button to finish it off.

18 comments:

johanna said...

it looks absolutely wonderful!!
suppose we can see more fabric art this week because of the theme:)

indybev said...

This is very creative and artistic. Thanks for sharing your talent!

Anonymous said...

Gorgoeus, great colour combo

K said...

beautiful!

peggy gatto said...

Quite a beautiful banner! Love the rich colors!

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous,Diane!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

What a gorgeous hanger...so beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hi Diane!!! your piece is lovely....I love that everyone creates something so unique and different each week....beautiful work!!!

Kristin said...

Beautiful, rich work. Lovely as usual! Thank you!

Sandy said...

Wow what a fantastic hanger. Really gorgeous design. Love them.

Carol said...

Beautiful creations, I've enjoyed catching up on your other creations as well, wonderful!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wonderful, love the colour-combination.

NANCY LEFKO said...

quite lovely !!!

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful, a great piece of art, I love it!!

Kris Dickinson said...

Such a beautiful banner!

Beth said...

This is gorgeous, Diane! I need to use a heat gun -- just chicken. But it certainly creates wonderful effects.

Lorraine said...

marvellous piece..will have to print on lutradur as it looks great..have a good weekend

Oxana said...

So beautiful Diane!