Monday, May 3, 2010

Mixed Media Monday - Mothers

Over at Mixed Media Monday this week Cindy has issued us with the challenge "mothers", which is well timed with Mother's Day next Sunday here in Oz and in lots of other parts of the world. I decided to make a box in honour of my daughter-in-law's first Mother's Day. You can see a pic of her and my absolutely gorgeous first grandchild, Lucy on the box. The box is covered with vintage papers of all sorts which were then further distressed with gesso and distress inks. I also used computer generated words and image, and "sunk" it all under a few coats of acrylic wax medium. A beautiful flower motif and some lace around the lid finished the box off. I don't know what it is with me and show tunes at the moment, but the words to the Stephen Sondheim song kept running through my head when I was thinking about this project, so they had to be a part of it. I hope my lovely daughter-in-law enjoys this small gift in honour of her first Mother's Day.

26 comments:

indybev said...

What a lovely box. Something that will be a family treasure for years to come!

K said...

gorgeous collage!

Mosaic Magpie said...

She will love the box you have created!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh this is GORGEOUS! And she will be so surprised!!! How fabulous! And so meaningful--what a precious keepsake for her with your amazing art!
Hugs,
Cindy

Lori Saul said...

A very beautiful personal treasure - how lovely to honor her with your art!

Anonymous said...

Oh Diane, this is such a lovely box. It's a wonderful gift to your daughter-in-law.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Gorgeous card...beautiful!!

Unknown said...

oh you are so sweet to create this special memory of her First Mother's Day!!! it is beautiful!!!

Hermine said...

Its gorgeous

johanna said...

such a special treasure!!

Carla said...

it's lovely

Anonymous said...

This is really stunning. What a special gift that she can treasure and use for years to come.

Kristin said...

Oh, I know she will! What a wonderful tribute and gift, Kristin xo

NANCY LEFKO said...

wonderful....a treasured keepsake!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, that's really lovely.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
My Creative House said...

Oh Diane Lucy looks really cute on the very beautiful box you have made, what a great idea to make a box to your daugther-in-law I'm sure she likes it.
Anni

Gillian .... said...

Hi Diane, what a priceless treasure to give, love love love this piece, those layers/texture are amazing x

Janny said...

Ít's beautiful, I am sure she is happy with it!

carolyn said...

A lovely piece!

Yvonne said...

looks lovely. Must be a real precious treasure box.

Nicola said...

what a sweet gift and a lovely thought I'm sure she'll treasure this always! Happy Mothers day to you too and I hope you're doing something nice on Sunday. Take care:0)

Yvonne said...

This is beautiful, Diane!

Bumbershoot Designs and Supplies said...

Diane, This is wonderful! Such a special gift to honor her in such an important new journey! Enjoy the special day! ~Sharon

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Toni said...

this is too cute... brought a big smile to my face. ;0